9-year-old boy badly burnt during school camp faces lengthy recovery

Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch
Nov 22, 2023 |

The nine-year-old boy who suffered severe burns during a school trip in North Canterbury is recovering, though he still faces a lengthy recovery process ahead.

As reported by Chris Lynch Media, the Hokitika Primary School student suffered serious burns when a small methylated spirits stove malfunctioned at the Waipara Adventure Centre last month.

He was airlifted to Christchurch Hospital, with his father accompanying him, having been present at the camp.

He was then flown to Middlemore Hospital’s specialised burns unit.

A Givealittle page was set up to help his family with travel to Auckland while he was being treated.

In an update on the page, it said “as the journey in Middlemore Hospital continues we would like to start with sharing some positive news: There has been no damage to his beautiful eyes and his vision.

“He is now able to talk, and has started eating small amounts of food and started light physio.

“After 2 more minor surgeries this week and assessment by the plastics team, our precious boy will be now reserving all his energy for a major seven hour surgery scheduled in 10 days with dressing changes and checks along the way.

Again we would like to express our gratitude to everyone who is thinking of us at this time.”

If you would like to donate, here is the Give a little page.

Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch is a journalist, videographer and content producer, broadcasting from his independent news and production company in Christchurch, New Zealand. If you have a news tip or are interested in video content, email [email protected]

Have you got a news tip? Get in touch here

got a news tip?