‘Absolutely appalling’: plaque honouring 80 earthquake victims stolen from Latimer Square

Kineta Knight
Kineta Knight
Aug 20, 2026 2:09 pm |
CTV's former receptionist Mary Anne Jackson / CLM file

A brass plaque commemorating 80 staff and students of King’s Education who died in the February 2011 earthquake has been stolen from Latimer Square, prompting anger and distress from one of the few people to escape the CTV building alive.

The King’s Education plaque stood in front of a tree planted in Latimer Square in 2013 and commemorated the nine staff and 71 students from the school who were killed when the CTV building collapsed on February 22, 2011.

It read: “In the memory of the nine staff and 71 students of King’s Education who lost their lives in the earthquake on the 22nd of February 2011.”

The six-storey CTV building collapsed during the magnitude 6.2 earthquake, killing 115 people, more than half of the 185 people who died across Christchurch that day.

Mary Anne Jackson was working as the receptionist at CTV when the earthquake struck and was the only CTV employee working at the time who made it out of the building alive.

She described the theft of the memorial plaque as “shocking” and “absolutely appalling”.

“It’s actually disgusting,” Jackson said.

“These people have got no conscience. They’re heartless and I’d say I hope karma comes and gets them.

“It’s devastating for the families, as if they haven’t been through enough.”

The February 22 earthquake remains one of New Zealand’s deadliest disasters and profoundly changed Christchurch, with memorials across the central city marking the lives lost and the experiences of survivors and their families.

Latimer Square became closely associated with the CTV tragedy in the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, as emergency crews worked at the nearby building site and families waited for news of loved ones.

Christchurch City Council Head of Parks Rupert Bool confirmed the King’s Education memorial plaque was among those stolen.

The council is looking at replacing it, although a cost and timeframe have not yet been established.

“We are looking into replacement but at this stage do not have a cost or timeframe,” Bool said.

The council earlier said it was considering using a different material for the replacement to help prevent another theft.

Stolen plaques / NZ Police

Superintendent Lane Todd, Metro Commander, said police were appealing for information after several brass memorial plaques were removed from central Christchurch last week.

“The plaques were taken from the Latimer Square and the Bridge of Remembrance areas sometime overnight on Tuesday 11 and Wednesday 12 August,” Todd said.

“Police are working to locate the plaques and establish what has happened to them.”

Police have released an image of a man they want to identify as part of the investigation.

Photo: Supplied by police

“As part of our enquiries, Police would like to identify and speak with the man pictured, who may be able to assist with the investigation,” Todd said.

“If this is you, or if you know who this person is, please get in touch.”

Police also want to hear from anyone who was in the Latimer Square or Bridge of Remembrance areas on those nights.

“We are also keen to hear from anyone who was in the Latimer Square or Bridge of Remembrance areas on these nights, or anyone who may have CCTV, dashcam footage, or information about the whereabouts of the plaques,” Todd said.

Kineta Knight
Kineta Knight

Kineta Knight is a highly experienced senior journalist, content creator and producer. She has worked as a reporter for radio, TV, digital and print, as well as editor of lifestyle magazines in NZ and the UK. Kineta's interests include all-things creative and community. Contact: [email protected]

Have you got a news tip? Get in touch here

got a news tip?