60 students from Christchurch school stranded at marae near Akaroa

George Thomson
George Thomson
Feb 18, 2026 |
Photo: Onuku Marae Facebook page

Sixty students from Kirkwood Intermediate remain in Akaroa after severe weather and flooding cut off road access back to Christchurch, forcing them to stay an extra night away from home.

The two classes, accompanied by teachers and some parents, had travelled to Ōnuku Marae for their annual trip earlier this week and were due to return yesterday.

However, worsening conditions and flooded roads made travel unsafe.

Principal Phil Tappenden told chrislynchmedia.com the decision was made to keep the group at the marae for an additional night due to safety concerns.

“They were supposed to come home yesterday. With the flooding on the roads, we arranged for them to stay an extra night,” he said.

“They have been very well looked after and are all warm, safe, dry and happy. We’re hoping the roads will reopen soon and it’s safe for them to come home.”

Tappenden said experienced teachers were supervising the students and their wellbeing remained the top priority.

“The most important thing is the children are safe. The marae have been fantastic looking after everyone.”

Road reopenings will depend on weather conditions and safety assessments.

George Thomson
George Thomson

George Thomson is a Senior Journalist at Chris Lynch Media. He has experience working in newsrooms in New Zealand, Australia, and the UK. He can be contacted at [email protected]

Have you got a news tip? Get in touch here

got a news tip?