NZ seeks answers from Russia after missile warning forces US Antarctic flight back to Christchurch

Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch
Aug 19, 2026 4:24 pm |
Photo: Anna Zvereva / Flickr, CC BY SA 2.0

New Zealand officials are seeking further information from Russia after a warning about a planned missile launch forced a United States Air Force flight bound for Antarctica to return to Christchurch.

The flight departed Christchurch on Tuesday before turning back after aviation authorities were alerted to a potential hazard in international airspace southeast of New Zealand.

Yesterday the CAA said space activity could have posed a hazard to aviation en route to Antarctica.

However today it said “The CAA was made aware by the Russian Air Traffic Management Centre of a planned missile launch and associated potential hazard to international airspace, within New Zealand’s Oceanic Flight Information Region,” a CAA spokesperson told chrislynchmedia.com.

“As a result, we put in place a danger area and issued a NOTAM, Notice to Airmen, to alert aircraft operators to the potential hazard.”

The CAA said the notice did not close the affected airspace.

“This does not prevent aircraft from flying through the area, operators make their decisions based on the information available.”

The Oceanic Flight Information Region managed by New Zealand covers a large area of international waters.

“Much of our Oceanic FIR is over international waters, where we have limited control over activities.”

“It is normal practice for Airspace Authorities and Air Traffic Service Providers, provided with such hazard notifications to issue NOTAMs.”

“Our role is to make sure operators know about aviation hazards. The safety and security of aircraft and passengers is our priority.”

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters said he had been briefed on the matter.

“New Zealand is aware of the Russian notice to aircrew and mariners of a planned missile launch and associated potential hazard to international airspace southeast of New Zealand.”

“However, details of the Russian notice are currently unclear and we are seeking further information.”

Associate Transport Minister James Meager said his office had also been kept informed.

“In this case, once the CAA was notified of a planned missile launch affecting New Zealand’s Oceanic Flight Information Region, a danger area was put in place, and a NOTAM was issued so operators could make informed decisions.”

“My office has been kept up to speed with developments on this. Safety and security are our top priorities, and this is a standard process for managing potential aviation hazards over international waters.”

The Government has not yet provided further details about the planned Russian missile launch, including its purpose, trajectory or exact timing.

Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch is a journalist, videographer and content producer, broadcasting from his independent news and production company in Christchurch, New Zealand. If you have a news tip or are interested in video content, email [email protected]

Have you got a news tip? Get in touch here

got a news tip?