Construction begins on second Ashburton bridge

Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch
May 22, 2026 |
Rendered image

Construction has begun on a second bridge over the Ashburton River, ending a decades long wait for Mid Canterbury residents and freight operators who have relied on a single crossing.

The new 2.46 kilometre crossing will run about 700 metres east of the existing State Highway 1 bridge, connecting Chalmers Avenue on the north side of the river to Carters Terrace and Grahams Road on the south side.

It will include 2 traffic lanes, on road cycle facilities and a shared path, along with 2 new roundabouts at Chalmers Avenue and South Street, and Grahams Road.

Transport Minister Chris Bishop said the second crossing would be a major boost for Ashburton.

“A second crossing over the Ashburton River is going to be a game changer for residents moving around and through the Mid Canterbury town,” Bishop said.

“It will also be important for economic growth as traffic volumes ease for commuters, tourists and freight operators on the existing crossing via State Highway 1.”

Around 24,000 vehicles currently use the existing bridge each day.

Associate Transport Minister James Meager said the new crossing would provide an important backup for the district.

“Having a second crossing connecting Tinwald to Ashburton provides a critical back up and lifeline in the event of crashes, emergencies or severe weather events that may impact SH1, which has occurred in recent years,” Meager said.

The bridge will span the 650 metre wide Ashburton River bed.

The project is being delivered by the NZ Transport Agency in partnership with Ashburton District Council as one of the Government’s Roads of Regional Significance.

Fletcher Construction is building the bridge after helping develop the detailed design over recent months.

Meager said the project fulfilled a 2023 National Party campaign promise and had been accelerated because of its importance to the community.

“I’m proud to be delivering on the National Party’s 2023 campaign promise to start construction of the bridge in our first term,” he said.

Early work already completed on site includes geotechnical investigations, ecological work, tree removal, access road construction and establishment of areas for heavy equipment.

The bridge is expected to be complete by the end of 2027, with a total project cost estimated at between $134 million and $144 million.

Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch is a journalist, videographer and content producer, broadcasting from his independent news and production company in Christchurch, New Zealand. If you have a news tip or are interested in video content, email [email protected]

Have you got a news tip? Get in touch here

got a news tip?