Government declines fast track bid for 1000 home Pegasus development

Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch
Aug 19, 2026 5:42 pm |

The Government has declined Wolfbrook Developments’ bid to put a major 1000 home development on the former Pegasus golf course through the fast track approvals process.

The decision was made by Infrastructure Minister Chris Bishop on Wednesday, just three weeks after the formal application was lodged on 29 July.

The Pegasus West Development proposed a master planned residential and commercial development comprising approximately 1000 residential lots across about 77 hectares at 9 Mapleham Drive in Pegasus.

The land includes the former Pegasus Golf and Sports Club, where the golf course has permanently closed.

In a decision letter sent to Wolfbrook Developments Limited on Wednesday, the Government confirmed the referral application had been declined.

The Minister decided the approvals sought for the development would be more appropriately dealt with under other legislation rather than through the Fast Track Approvals Act.

Waimakariri MP Matt Doocey welcomed the decision and said he opposed both the proposed development and its use of the fast track process.

Minister Matt Doocey

Minister for Mental Health Matt Doocey

“I welcome today’s decision to decline the Pegasus Fast Track application.

“Congratulations to Matt James and the Pegasus Residents Group in coordinating the opposition to the Wolfbrook development of the golf course.

“I’ve appreciated his respectful engagement especially with my parliamentary staff and myself as we navigated the issues.

“I oppose the development and its use of fast track, so I welcome Minister Chris Bishop’s decision today,” Doocey said.

The decision means the development will not proceed to the substantive fast track approval stage through its current application.

The proposal also included a neighbourhood commercial and community centre intended to provide retail, healthcare, education, community and recreation services.

Wolfbrook planned new three waters infrastructure, stormwater infrastructure and open spaces, along with alterations to Pegasus Boulevard providing a new road access and intersection improvements.

The development would have required resource consents under the Resource Management Act, wildlife permits, archaeological approvals and potentially approvals under freshwater fisheries regulations. A Conservation Act concession was also sought as a precaution in relation to the Brockenhurst Wetlands stewardship area.

The decision follows months of interest in the future of the former golf course.

Chris Lynch Media revealed in July that Wolfbrook had formally triggered the process for a development of up to 1000 houses, after documents released under the Official Information Act disclosed the scale of the proposal.

Under the fast track legislation, projects seeking referral must satisfy the Minister that they would deliver significant regional or national benefits and that using the fast track process would facilitate the development in a more timely and cost effective way than normal processes.

The Government’s fast track website now lists the Pegasus West Development as “Referral declined”.

However, the decision does not permanently prevent Wolfbrook from seeking fast track approval.

The Government said an applicant whose project is not referred can apply again, although it would be treated as a new application and would attract new fees and charges.

A more detailed Government briefing setting out the rationale behind the Minister’s decision is expected to be published on the fast track website in due course.

Chris Lynch
Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch is a journalist, videographer and content producer, broadcasting from his independent news and production company in Christchurch, New Zealand. If you have a news tip or are interested in video content, email [email protected]

Have you got a news tip? Get in touch here

got a news tip?